Claiming CME for PIMs
Diplomates who register for a PIM may claim up to 20 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ upon successful completion of the PIM.
The American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) awards up to 20 credits to diplomates who complete the PIM. These credits also qualify as self-assessment CME for ABO MOC.
DISCLAIMER: The ABO and AAO are engaged in a Joint Providership agreement that allows AMA PRA Category 1 CME credits to be granted for the successful completion of this ABO activity. The Joint Providership requires participants to first claim and then transfer CME credits via the AAO CME Central website. Access to the AAO CME Central website requires your AAO username and password. If for any reason you experience technical difficulties (i.e. inability to login or inability to transfer the assigned amount of CME credits), please contact the AAO.
AAO CONTACTS: If you experience difficulty with your membership login or CME transfer, please contact AAO Member services: 1-415-561-858, or 866-561-8558 (toll free, United States only). If you experience difficulty accessing the AAO CME Central website due to server outages or other technical issues, please send an email to email@example.com.
PIM CME credits are:
- AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ awarded by the AAO through joint sponsorship with the ABO. These credits are not awarded by the ABO.
- Awarded only to those who register for and complete a PIM after the date of original release, February 18, 2014, per ACCME and AAO regulations
- Awarded upon completion of the entire PIM process, unlike most other performance improvement activities
- Available to be claimed up to two times in total
- Claimed by clicking a unique link at the end of the PIM, which guides the diplomate to AAO's CME Central login, and the AAO's familiar two-step CME claiming process
- Listed on the AAO CME transcript once they have been claimed, like other AAO CME and can be transferred to ABO upon clicking 'Transfer CME Credits to the ABO'
- Applicable to ABO MOC CME and self-assessment CME requirements
- Confirmed through the appearance of the ACCME Accreditation Statement on the CME Disclosures & Overview page of the activity: "This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint sponsorship of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Board of Ophthalmology. The American Academy of Ophthalmology is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians."