To serve the public by certifying ophthalmologists through the verification of competencies.
- Certification promotes and recognizes aspirational goals, not minimum standards, thus providing unique value to the profession.
- Certification is a lifelong process that promotes excellence through continuous improvement.
- Certification should be voluntary, as our founders intended.
- Certification should be challenging and meaningful, yet not burdensome to busy practitioners.
- ABO diplomates are professionals and colleagues, and we honor them accordingly.
- The ABO stewards its finances with integrity and transparency.
- The ABO is an independent certifying board of practicing ophthalmologists who collaborate whenever possible with professional societies, organizations, and other stakeholders who strive to advance excellence.