Upcoming Initial Certification Examinations
The American Board of Ophthalmology certification process requires the successful completion of two assessments following graduation from an accredited residency program: the Written Qualifying Examination
(WQE), which is typically given once per year in the fall at testing centers around the country, and the Oral Examination
, which is currently offered twice per year online. Upcoming exam administration dates and accompanying registration deadlines are listed below:
|Written Qualifying Examination
||Pearson Vue Testing Centers
|Spring Oral Examination
|Fall Oral Examination
||November 14 - August 5*
*Registration is offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration for each exam will close when candidate capacity is reached. Candidates are encouraged to register as early as possible for their preferred exams.
- Registration for all exams is available on a first-come, first-served basis. If space is no longer available for an exam, it is your responsibility to seek out information about the next available registration window. If your email address is current, you will also receive a reminder.
- Complete the online registration form on your Candidate Status Page; no paper applications are accepted.
- Full payment is due at the time of registration. Active duty military service members may request reimbursement for 50% of paid exam fees by forwarding a copy of their receipt and proof of military status to the Board Office.
- If you require special testing accommodations please submit your request in accordance with our accommodations procedures. Nursing mothers who anticipate needing accommodations should email the Board Office.
- You are expected to check your Candidate Status Page periodically and keep your email address updated for important updates regarding your examination.
Scheduling Changes and Exam Cancellations
Administering a board certification examination requires a significant commitment on the part of the Board and our candidates. As such, we encourage you to carefully consider your future availability prior to registering for an examination and taking the steps necessary to ensure that you can appear for your exam as scheduled. In the event that an unanticipated issue requires you to change your plans, please consider the following policies:
Registered candidates who are Board Eligible
- Withdraw prior to the registration deadline to receive a refund minus a $300 administration fee. To withdraw, email the Board Office.
- Cancel after the registration deadline has passed but at least 61 days before the test to receive a refund of 50% of the registration fee. To cancel, email the Board Office.
- Cancellations received within 60 days of the examination are non-refundable for any reason.
- Reschedule a WQE testing appointment, as space allows, until 48 hours prior to the exam. Scheduling assignments for the Oral Exam cannot be changed.
Registered candidates who are no longer Board Eligible are also ineligible for refunds
in any amount, regardless of the date of withdrawal or cancellation. For more information, please consult the Board Eligibility Policy